Thursday, June 5, 2008

The place in my mind I didn't want to go

Driving is my prime thinking time. If ever I need "a break," and cannot go for my classic meandering walk across open ground, I dash for the Sheep Jeep. Hardly pausing to unlatch the emergency brake, I'll role down the windows, find a CD that plays sister to my mood, and envelope myself with my thoughts.


Last night was one of those times. And here, my friends, is my epiphany: I like... no, I love, all people. A little humble, eh? Just wait...

In moving to the midwest, one of my biggest fears was that I might find myself racist. What?! I knew in my head that we are all equal, that we were all created in God's incredible image. Differences in culture and skin color I tend to enjoy -but would I here? Here where there was strong concentrations of different "people groups"?


In the Northwest, I was rarely presented with those types of differences; albeit, I was raised on a Native American Reservation, my siblings are from around the world, and the population style is extremely diverse.

For some reason, my heart was wary over what my reaction would be. But last night I realized I loved every sort of people; and it was my selfishness which brought along my fear. I was scared that "they" would view me differently, treat me differently, react to me differently.

Now, my heart knows what my head had already realized.


God loves, and He was given me love -it is so incredibly exciting. Ah, yes, His strength is made known. And He is so delightful!

P.S. My drive took me to Longview Lake.

4 comments:

Chelsea said...

Where did you go to find the water?
I miss hanging with you.

Tim said...

I hear you totally on this as I plan my move. That's awesome that you've allowed your heart to be molded like this.

Carrie said...

...me sinks you should find a cheaper and greener hobby for clearing your head... your gas guzzling sheep jeep will put you in the financial ditch if you don't watch it...

... says the girl that has emotional breakdowns at the gas station...

I did NOT see the cannons. I have seen pictures of the cannons. I honestly don't have a clue where they are. You'd think they'd have signs, eh?

Anonymous said...

You gotta' love the "am I a racist?" angst that we're filled with, don't you. Ackk...