Saturday, June 7, 2008

First things, first: Are YOU offended?

"I must ask you first, are you offended by profanity and cursing? ...it's a common thing around here, but..."

Pause. A bit too long. "Yes?" an eyebrow raise

I knew this is where I'm supposed to say something, but what do you say to that? Do I like it? No. Do I enjoy it? No. Am I going to purse my lips when someone uses it? No... err... maybe... in a bit of a knee-jerk reaction?

But in all reality? The language they choose to use, is theirs, and it's not my place to play regulator to their conversation. I would prefer if they understood that I didn't enjoy, and would volunteer not to use profanity... but that takes a bit and accompanies the respect that comes with knowledge -not with me saying "That offends me, please DO NOT use it."

With that said; if you are at all offended by profanity, please stop reading this post now. I mean it.

No, I really do.


FUCK YOU!

Fuck your fucking head! I need a fucking paramedic! I'm dying... I don't want to die... fuck you! I'm fucking having a heart-attack here! NO, fuck you!

Shit... I'm a fag, man! I'm not going to fucking hurt you, dear! I'm fine! Well, I'm not fine, but you fucking know what I mean! I love all the ladies... I'm a faggot, man! Fuck this.


His eyes were glued to mine, and mine were glued right back.

The soft restraints were cinched on his wrists and ankles. His head was lifted off the gurney, veins jumping from his shoulders, neck and head. Bits of fresh green grass were scattered across his naked chest and abdomen -evidence of a previous argument with the police.

I wished that I could reach out and touch him, and that touch would somehow relay to him Love -the Love of Christ. Why didn't I?

He was loaded into the ambulance. A fireman leaned over my shoulder, "You might want to go un-fuck your head after this one." I turned and smiled; I love these brothers of EMS.

Five hours later: The time is about 0730. The fire chief strides into our office. "Fuck you!" He points. We all laugh.

Welcome, to Medic 1132.

*And now, I'm left here, knowing that I will click "publish post," but wondering if it is the right thing to do. Is my point taken? Is one exception made, only to let loose a flood? Is the love understood?

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Strong words Jocelyn, but good. I think that this is a big problem with classic "Christians"causing them to dismiss our faith as "religon". Real witness does not happen with tracks and going door to door, but with relationships. And relationships cannot be built with divisive rules and regs. Keep it up, and be careful that you never try to blend, while stil being inclusive. In and not of, I guess.

Anonymous said...

Haha - yeah. Language is an interesting thing. Sometimes, our heads follow our words - and there is the danger in cursing. But I think that except in cases of extreme crudity, most four-letter words are so overused they've lost the hatred that they used to express. But then again maybe not...