Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Sackett's youngest sister

Gypsy. Vagabond. Delinquent. Floater. These are the newest titles that have been assigned to me (along with lecture about staying in one place -or at least keeping the same PO box- for at the least 1 year). If I had a six-foot two frame with a chiseled chin and a not-particularly handsome face, then these names would be home to me. My last name would also be Sackett, rather then Little.
And I would look like this:
Rather then this:

But I don't, and I do.

Even though I may not have Sackett's incredible waist to shoulder ratio and deadly aim with a sawed-off shotgun, I'm generally okay with being a vagabond. I see new people, experience different cultures and get to live a cozy little me-centered life.

And that is where the problem is.

Sackett and I have more in common then I thought.

He never wanted to invest in the lives around him. But invariably, within the first several chapters of the book, Sackett would get roped into helping someone out of a narrow alley (the plot of the book). And then, at the climax of the story, Sackett would realize that he had lived his life missing out on one of the most important things we humans have in this life: relationships.

And therefore, invariably, before the story closed, Sackett had to make a choice: he could go on living how he had always lived -free and wild, with his only responsibility being his morning cup of coffee; or he could have the love of his life, and a place in a community, where he'd be required to go to barn raisings and church picnics.

The only time Sackett didn't chose the church picnics, was when Louis Lamour wanted a sequel.

So far, nobody has requested my gun hand to keep Kansas City from the outlaws. But it's come down to my own climax. Life joys are in relationships -I want that. I want to pour out my life for others. I'm exhausted of doing whatever I want, for whatever's sake.

Only... is it horrible that I don't want to give up my fly-with-the-wind freedom?

What's that verse? "It is for Christ's sake that we've been set free..." and "everything is permissable, but not everything is benificial."

3 comments:

Tim said...

When does the sequel of your story come out titled "Josie Settles Down?"

J said...

I believe you'll first see the post "Wherein J gives her life to all she crosses paths with... and quits being so freakin selfish!"
That's my goal: not really to "settle" but to be a "living sacrifice" -that other's would be my goal, instead of my own achievment.

James said...

I rather meet the personin the second picture than the first!